Wednesday 15 January 2014

Beeroot Chickpeas Rice


Beet Chickpeas Rice
I never used to like beetroot when I was a child and have no idea why so. My brother used to eat it and even about three or four years back, when I visited him, he had to make another veggie for me as I will not eat beets. Now, it is a different story. I do not just eat the beets but also the lovely greens that come with it. Oh yes, it is indeed edible. I try to get the beets from the market as they would be sold with the greens unlike most supermarkets. The greens, like all other greens are extremely good for the health. Beet greens are rich in vitamin K and also vitamin A. While the latter is important in blood clotting, the latter helps immunity and also vision. Anyway, deep coloured fruits and veggies have whole host of benefits. The benefits we get from the pigments in beets tend to diminish with increased cooking time so just cook until done. I had tried beet greens with dal, will post recipe later, and since then have been a fan of it. I decided to combine chickpeas with this rice dish to add protein. I was not sure if my husband would like it but his feedback was that it appeared to be bland but was actually very flavourful and nice.

3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
2 medium beetroots, cut into long pieces
¾ cup cooked chickpeas
8-10 beet green leaves
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 cup rice, cooked so grains are fluffy
Cooking oil

Heat oil and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Add the spring onions after seeds crackle


Once it wilts, add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and sauté for couple of minutes

Add beet greens and sauté for a minute or so

Add beetroot, required salt and cook until tender. Keeping it covered will speed up the process

Add chilli flakes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and sauté for couple of minutes.

Add chickpeas and cook for 3-4 minutes

Add rice, mix and serve!




2 comments:

  1. very healthy combo and such appealing rice :) looks so delicious dear !!

    ReplyDelete