Sunday 21 July 2013

Fruit crumble (very low in fat and refined ingredients)


Fruit Crumble
First time I ever had crumble was in a canteen in the company I used to work in. I was a savoury crumble and I actually liked the dish. However, I never got to try the sweet crumble for some reason. When I used to watch the food channels, sometimes I would run into crumble recipes and the amount of butter and flour would put me off. In the recent past, I did get to try crumble in some nice restaurants but did not quite enjoy it as the crumble itself seemed to have been made with crushed biscuits and nothing exciting. I then decided to make a version of healthy crumble that can arrest any sugar craving one may have while being healthy at the same time. I used oats to get the crumbly texture and the coarsely crushed nuts also add to the lovely texture. I have used very little refined flour and just one spoon of sugar in the crumble mixture as I was hoping this would be enough to trigger the fruits letting out their juices. If you are on a calorie controlled diet or you just like to be mindful of what you are eating, this is a great dish to fill you up so you can reduce the main meal. The oats provides some carbohydrates, so you are not drained and needless to say how good fruits can be for you. Although cooked fruits may not preserve all goodness from uncooked state nevertheless, it is still nutritious. You could start your day with this too if you are not a porridge person. Nuts are an essential part of a balanced diet and they are also said to help protect against cardio-vascular problems. Whenever I have over ripe fruits, I just roughly cut them up and bingo, a lovely dessert is ready. I am trying to watch the quantity of food I eat and this dish is a lovely way to cut out the junk. This could be a snack or a dessert or even a breakfast. I urge you to try it and let me know what you think.

¾ cup oats
2 tablespoon flour
1-2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
2 pears, 2 apples, 2 bananas chopped (I add cherries, raspberries, strawberries as well when available)
Handful of raisins or currants
Handul of nuts, chopped

Put all fruits together in a oven safe dish

Mix the flour, butter, oats, nuts and sugar and spread over the fruits to cover evenly. Use cold butter an duse your fingers to work the butter into the mixture



Bake in preheated oven at 180degC for 15 minutes or until top turns golden brown

Serve warm. It is even better when served with ice cream but that is not if you are watching what you eat.



4 comments:

  1. packers and movers in Hyderabad
    Grea5t food post, i like ingredients of Fruit crumble.Fruit crumble is very healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. packers and movers Bangalore
    Fruit crumble is very healthy recipe and delicious,thanks for sharing cooking method of Fruit crumble, i like this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the addition of oats in this superbly healthy treat, take a look at our phokchas for a treat :-)

    ReplyDelete