Saturday 8 December 2012

Ginger Drink (Inji Surasam)



Ginger Drink (Inji Surasam)
I am trying to post recipes appropriate for the holiday season but the recent attack of cold in my family was a reminder that it is also the cold season. While it is great to munch on biscuits and nack on cakes and cookies, the sugars in them will weaken our immune system. Even if you are on a reasonable diet, you may be down with the cold every now and then. Considering I try to post as many healthy recipes as possible, I thought I should post a wonderful drink that does not just taste great but is super good for cold. It helps alleviate cold symptoms including body pain. To me, it is the best hot, sour and sweet soup. Although honey is also good for the throat, I prefer to use sugar in this case as honey when heated becomes toxic. It is my grandmother’s recipe, so yet again, a traditional gem preserved. I would strongly recommend people who suffer from sinusitis to try this about once in a week or when down with the infection. It will seem like a lot of ginger but you need that heat for it to work. I will try to post more recipes suitable for this season, until then here is a superb drink.
6 inch piece of ginger (about 5-7 cm wide) cut into smaller chunks and coarsely crushed
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons sugar
Pinches of salt

Bring to boil the ginger and cumin seeds in about two glasses of water. Allow it to boil for ten to fifteen minutes so the juices from ginger and cumin seep into the water. It will be quite aromatic at this stage

Take off the flame, add the sugar, salt and lemon juice, mix and drink hot. I normally run it through a sieve before drinking




1 comment: