Wednesday 12 September 2012



Baingan ka Choka
My love for aubergine has been mentioned a good few times in my blogs but even s much love would not explain why I have some many of them in my fridge. Well, thanks to online order I got four packs of many aubergines as a substitute for four aubergines. Now that is a good reason to try a few aubergine recipes but I am sure my family would have had enough of eggplants by the end of this week. And yet I tried this very simple dish I read up on sanjeev kapoor’s website. I adapted it to suit our taste and skipped the garlic as well. You could char garlic and add it too if you like. I added turmeric powder for its colour and red chilly powder for added heat. I did not have mustard oil, as suggested in the original recipe, but used gingelly oil instead. Here is the recipe...
2-3 eggplants
2 tomatoes
1 onion
3-4 green chillies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon chilly powder
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder

Cook the eggplants, onion, tomatoes and green chillies, cool, peel the skin and chop

Heat some oil and add cumin seeds and allow it to brown

Add the onions, turmeric powder and green chillies and sauté for a minute

Add tomatoes and sauté for couple of minutes

Add the eggplants and chilly powder and cook for 2-3 minutes, sprinkle some water if needed

Serve with rice or any Indian bread

No comments:

Post a Comment