Monday 13 August 2012

Pumpkin Pachadi (Pumpkin curry)



Pumpkin Pachadi (Pumpkin curry)
When I was a child, I was not at all a fan of pumpkin and preferred ash gourd. Over time, I relaise my taste has changed and now I quite like pumpkin. It is a shame that I do not get it all through the year. I barely see it in the supermarkets here and if lucky, I get my hands around it or my brother and his wife buy it for me from Indian shop. I usually buy a full pumpkin, cut it and freeze. The lovely colour of the pumpkin flesh simply means it is very good for us. It contains beta carotene which has anti inflammatory properties and also contains alpha carotenes which can slow ageing and even prevent tumor growth. It has vitamin E which promotes healthy skin and could also prevent some cancers. It is also rich in fibre. Having said all the good stuff about this lovely fruit, it is a shame that it is normally seen only during Halloween, that too for carving. Anyway, this particular dish is a traditional dish and ayurveda based. You can pair this with any other dish that may be slightly bitter so the sweetness complements. Here is the recipe...

1 teapsoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon urd dal
Asafoetida
Turmeric powder
2 cups pumpkin, cubed
½ teaspoon tamarind paste
½ teaspoon chilly powder (optional)
1 tablespoon crushed jaggery
2-3 dry red chillies
Salt to taste
One sprig curry leaves
Cooking oil

Heat little oil and add mustard seeds, urd dal, asafoetida, turmeric powder and dry red chillies. Allow the seeds to crackle

Add the pumpkin and sauté for couple of minutes

Add little water and tamarind paste and cook until pumpkin is done

Add the chilly powder, salt, jaggery, curry leaves and simmer until raw smell goes

Serve



No comments:

Post a Comment