Tuesday 22 May 2012

Sundakai Paruppu Kadaisal (Turkey Berry Dal)


Sundakai Paruppu Kadaisal


One of the many gems used in Indian cuisine is sundakai a.k.a turkey berry. Many would have seen it in dried form in many Indian grocery shops. I had only seen it once in the fresh form before I moved out of India. After that, I saw it recently in an Indian food shop here and was delighted so just grabbed a small quantity. These berries are quite commonly used in ayurvedic treatments I am told. It has medicinal properties that make it great to treat phlegm, mucus and cough. It is capable of helping the body get rid of bacterial infestation of the stomach making it very good for the digestive system. It is said to help cure night blindness by strengthening the nerves. Its bitter taste helps kill worms in the gut. While there are a good few recipes one can dish out with dried berries, I noticed there were far fewer recipes using fresh berries. Here is one for you...

1 cup green turkey berries
½ cup toor dal
½ teaspoon tamarind extract
10 pearl onions
1 tomato
Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3-4 dry red chillies
Asafoetida
Cooking oil
Curry leaves

Wash and smash the turkey berries so their seeds come out. Smear turmeric powder so they do not become dark

Bring together, chopped tomato, about 5 pearl onions (smashed lightly), toor dal, couple of dry red chillies, add required water and pressure cook well so they can be mashed


Mash this mixture

In the meantime, heat little oil and add mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add asafoetida, dry red chillies,pearl onions and sauté briefly

Add tamarind extract, little water and required salt (enough for the turkey berries and dal mixture). You could add little chilly powder at this stage if desired

Add this to the mashed dal, mix well and serve!

3 comments:

  1. Wat an interesting way to sneak this healthy turkey berry, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I am so glad I've found your blog, because I am vegan and it's not always easy to find interesting ideas.

    I loved this recipe as I often turn to natural medicines to treat ailments.

    I will definitely try this recipe and also drink a cup of tea to enhance the health benefits!

    Have you ever tried Licorice tea? I truly advise it if you are keen on herbal medicines.

    Licorice tea treats upper respiratory ailments, clears congestion and phlegm and it soothes seasonal allergies.

    http://www.therighttea.com/licorice-tea.html

    It's also great to treat digestive disorders! So I think this is the perfect tea to have with this fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your comment. I have been meaning to try licorice for a while and now that I am not pregnant any more, I hope i can try it soon. Hope to post more such healthy recipes, so pls keep visiting and giving feedback :)

      Delete