Wednesday 4 April 2012

Paal Payasam (Milk Kheer)


Paal Payasam (Milk Kheer)


Despite being a tamil Brahmin, I have never made paal payasam before. It was a special occasion at home and I thought I could very well try this recipe. These days I do not get a lot of time in my kitchen so have to make use of every opportunity I get to experiment but be safe i.e. ensure it is good enough to be served to guests. This is not really a recipe where you can go wrong although yo could make a mistake with amount of sugar and make it too sweet or not sweet for different people, but that is just personal preference. This recipe is not so sweet so for someone like my brother, it was not great. But for me and few others who do not like their desserts being too sweet, it was perfect. I think Keralites make this dish with red rice. I could have done that but I did not find time to locate my lonely pack of red rice, maybe next time.

8 cups whole milk
½ cup rice
2 teaspoons ghee
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons broken cashewnuts
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
Pinches of saffron

Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan

Grind rice to a coarse powder

Add rice and sugar to the milk, stir and pressure cook for 2 whistles

Stir well, add cardamom powder, saffron and bring to boil

Simmer for a few minutes so it thickens. Heat ghee and fry raisins until puffed and cashews until golden brown

Add this to the milk mixture and serve warm or cold

1 comment: