Wednesday 28 December 2011

Tikkar Paratha

Tikkar Paratha


I love parathas and enjoy experimenting and trying various varieties of parathas. However my better half does not enjoy them so I make them only when I have to make something for myself. I saw this recipe on a television program and made a note of it in my to try list and finally found the opportunity to make it. One of the interesting things about this recipe is it uses cornmeal (this is not the same as corn flour) which has been sitting in my pantry for a while. This could make a single dish meal with just yogurt and pickle. The addition of cornmeal would normally mean you cannot roll the parathas with neat edge and they will look a bit cracked, that is quite normal. Just like the presenter of the show, Anitha, explained, dab of ghee does make a difference to this dish. I normally do not smear oil or ghee on the parathas but this was an exception. Ghee in moderate quantities is good for the body so I used my allowance for that day. I noticed that maida/all purpose flour was more suitable for dusting than wheat flour itself. It was a lovely paratha that is certainly worth trying.

1 cup wheat flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
½ teaspoon chilly powder
1 grated onion
Salt to taste
Mix all ingredients together and add required water to make soft dough like that of chapatti and rest it for 10 minutes


Divide into about 5 equal sized balls and roll each one into thick chapattis. I found all purpose flour to be ideal for dusting

Cook both sides (once you see bubbles, flip, cook, again once you see bubbles flip, press) on a heated tava and smear ghee on both sides



Serve with yogurt and pickle



1 comment:

  1. Adding cornmeal sounds interesting,paratha looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete