Sunday 20 November 2011

Masala Capsicum Rice


Masala Capsicum Rice


It was one of those days when I had to make some lunch for myself and my husband had something else arranged. I was lying in my bed wondering what to do and mentally taking an inventory of what was in the fridge. My son loves eggplant so I have been making it quite frequently and now I would rather have something else for a change. A nice big green pepper came to mind and I recalled that the last time I tried to make masala capsicum rice, I did not quite like the results. So this time, I wanted to change the spices I was using and I must say the results were great. If you do not like hot food then you may want to reduce the chillies a wee bit but if served with raita, it should be alright. Normally they say that the correct portion size of rice for adult is ¼ cup (uncooked) and it is amazing how such rice where you mix them with vegetables, you can stick to this portion size. I have specified half cup uncooked rice so you can serve two with the mentioned quantity. You may want to make a bit more if you are very hungry though! The ingredients list looks long but trust me, it is very simple. You could make the same dish with eggplants too but I make eggplant rice differently and will post that soon. Here is the green pepper/capsicum rice…

1 tablespoon peanuts/groundnuts
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Turmeric powder
2 green chillies, slit
½ cup rice, rinsed and soaked for 15 minutes
1 large green pepper, chopped (you could use any other color pepper too)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Curry leaves
Cooking oil
1 piece cinnamon
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
2 cloves

Roast peanuts, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, sesame seeds separately, cool and grind along with some turmeric powder






Heat some oil and add the whole spices – cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and star anise. Once they crackle, add the mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter

Add onions and fry until soft and also add the green chillies

Add the green pepper and curry leaves, required salt and cook until capsicum is done. I like them tender and not crunchy, so cooked wee bit longer

In the mean time cook the rice the way you normally would but ensure grains are separate and rice is fluffy

Once the pepper is cooked, add the ground spice powder, mix and cook for couple of minutes

Add the rice and mix well and serve!


1 comment: