Wednesday 14 September 2011

Ridge Gourd and Mango Khurma


Ridge Gourd and Mango Khurma


Khurma is not a common dish on my menu mainly because my husband had said he does not like them. Turns out, that was the case until he tried khurma that I make. Well, I would not say I make the best khurma, I make something that he is happy to have. Anyway, as we all started enjoying khurma lately, I decided to be a bit bold and experiment more with it. I watched two different dishes on two programs on the television and thought it would be a good idea to combine the recipes as they were quite comparable. That is how I decided to use mango in this kurma along with ridge gourd which is usually prepared as chutney in our kitchens. I was not very sure how the addition of mango would turn out and even if I would like it so was a bit shy and just added a portion of a mango. It turned out yummy and the next time, I certainly will add more mango. The combination of the ridge gourd and mango along with the mild flavours from kurma was very good. It is a simple dish and as usual I added some ground almonds instead of cashew as almonds have more beneficial fats. I served this to one of my neighbours’ brother and explained to him how I usually see if people like the dish before posting the recipe and he told me it was good to go. He is a German and had spent a year in Uthramerur, Tamil Nadu and appreciated authentic recipes. Here is the recipe and I really hope you like it too. If you cannot get ridge gourd, try this kurma using turnip, kohlrabi or chayote squash.

1 large ridge gourd, skinned, de-seeded and cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped finely
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
Half a large mango, chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Turmeric powder
Few curry leaves
½ teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander/dhania powder
For masala paste:
4 teaspoon grated coconut/dessicated coconut
3 dry red chillies
1-2 tablespoon chopped ginger
½ teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
1 tablespoon ground almond or 8-10 cashewnuts

Heat some oil and the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the onions and fry until soft

Add the tomatoes, pinch of salt and cook until the tomatoes turn mushy

Add turmeric powder, ridge gourd, mango, curry leaves and generous amount of water and cook covered

In the mean time grind together all the items mentioned for the masala paste adding required water to make a fine paste

Once the ridge gourd is cooked, add the paste, required salt and cook until raw smell goes and desired consistency is achieved. Depending how watery your paste is, you may need to add some water when you add the paste.

Serve hot with any Indian bread or rice

No comments:

Post a Comment