Saturday 23 July 2011

Kathrikai Gothsu (Aubergine/Eggplant in Sauce)


Kathrikai Gothsu (Aubergine/Eggplant in Sauce)


Indian marriages are known for their grandeur, scale and food and being a south Indian, I used to love the food at south Indian marriages (I did not get to go to more than one North Indian marriage though). These days, in order to manage the crowd better, close relatives and friends are typically invited for the actual ceremony while others are invited to the reception. Honestly, reception food is a bit disappointing as it is not the traditional menu and is in between north and south Indian food. Reason I am talking about food in wedding is because I used to love the gothsu served with breakfast during weddings. Usually served with upma or pongal, I always enjoyed the subtle flavours in it. I say subtle because it usually has sour and some heat but in moderation and none of them overpower each other. ‘Masiyal’ is what I used to make usually with pongal and upma until I cracked the gothsu recipe. Ever since I was successful with this, it has become a regular on our menu. My husband does not like very hot and sour dishes so this is perfect balance for all of us. Here is how I make it…

4-5 eggplants, chopped (use just one if you are using the big Spanish eggplant)
2 tablespoon channa dal, cooked (I pressure cook it but you could soak it for a while and cook on hob)
½ teaspoon tamarind paste
1 onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
Turmeric powder
Asafoetida
2 heaped teaspoons sambar powder
1 teaspoon cooking oil
2 green chillies, slit
Salt to taste

Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the onions and green chillies

Once onion turns soft, add the tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy

Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, curry leaves and the eggplants. Add enough water to submerge the ingredients, add tamarind paste and salt and cook until eggplants are done


Add the sambar powder and cook until raw smell goes

Add channa dal and simmer for a few minutes

Serve hot

 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Veena. Making this today. Nice to have the exact amounts and all. Haven't made this in ages. --Deepa (Austin)

    ReplyDelete