Wednesday 22 June 2011

Kathrikai Kurma


Kathrikai Kurma


Vegetable kurma is a popular dish in south India. I remember enjoying chapatti and kurma in Saravana Bhavan, although the kurma was oily, it tasted good. My husband usually is not a kurma fan so I refrain from making it normally. However, recently I made vegetable kurma (will post the recipe soon) and he loved it. I came across a brinjal kurma recipe here and thought the fundamental idea was good. I thought I will have to make it differently to suit my family’s preference and the result was fantastic. We had it with rotis and I am sure it will go well with rice as well and even dosas. Here is the recipe…

1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 big Spanish eggplant
Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon chilly powder
Asafoetida
Cooking oil

For masala paste
1 tbsp ground nuts
1 tbsp cashew nuts
3 tbsp dessicated coconut
3 green chillies
1 inch piece of ginger
Heat some oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the onions and fry until soft

Add the tomatoes and cook until it turns mushy. You may want to add a pinch of salt to speed up the process

In the mean time, wash and dry the eggplant and char it directly on the flame. Put in cold water and peel the skin off and roughly chop

Add the eggplant, ground masala paste and all spice powders, salt and water

Cook until raw smell goes and desired consistency is achieved and add some chopped coriander leaves if you fancy

Serve with rice or chapatti

1 comment: