Wednesday 4 May 2011

Kadai Aloo


Kadai Aloo
The best thing about the universally loved vegetable, potato, is that it is so versatile. You could make a starter or an entire meal out of it. I find it an easy option to cook a dish with potato when I have people over because they are unlikely to dislike potato. I was having a friend and her colleague over to our place and they were going to stay with us for the weekend. They were on a twelve hours bus journey to reach our place and I was pretty sure they would be starving by the time they reach home. Although usually I would make a lot of effort to cook elaborate meals if anyone comes home, this time I was going to be more relaxed as it was a close friend and also because I think I am gaining more confidence as a cook. These days it is easier and quicker to whip up a delicious meal and get credit for it. Anyway, I had made palak dal, chapatti and was going to make chatpate aloo. Then it changed to aloo in a rich gravy and finally it ended up becoming the recipe I have posted now. I must say that it was a hit and I thought my husband may not like it as it was not really a gravy but a moist sabji like consistency, I was proved wrong. This recipe is certainly a keeper! Here is how I made it


4-5 medium sized potatoes, cubed and boiled
1 onion, sliced thinly
3-4 dry red chillies (preferably soaked in water for some time)
2 tablespoon cashew nuts
1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece ginger
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
Handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Grind together red chillies, cashewnuts, ginger, garlic, coriander powder and cumin powder. Add water just enough to grind it to a paste


Heat some oil in a skillet and add cumin seeds. Once it browns add onions and cook until it softens

Add the potatoes and mix so the oil coats the potatoes and it does not become mushy. Add the ground paste, required salt, kasoori methi and coriander leaves and cook on low flame until raw smell goes. You may cook longer to enable the flavours to soak into the potatoes

Serve hot with rice or any Indian bread or even Pita bread!

If you like the yellow colour, add turmeric powder once onion softens.

2 comments:

  1. Kadai aloo looks so rich and delicious...thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe :) will sure try this one!

    ReplyDelete