Thursday 3 March 2011

Mango Kadhi


Mango Kadhi


It is almost mango season in India and that is one thing that I terribly miss. It is such a shame that the ones we get here are nowhere near the desi ones in terms of taste, flavour or even appearance. Having said that, I was still tempted to buy a couple of them at a shop when I saw the price low. It had been a while and the mango had ripened quite a bit and I had no choice but to make something out of it. The last time I made gravy with it, it came out quite well but this time I did not have much time and wanted something even simpler. I decided to make a kadhi so that it would go well with the rice I was making. I looked at few recipes and many suggested we need chilli paste, ginger paste etc. and honestly I could not be bothered blending them all separately to make such a simple dish. Again I was just a bit more practical and did not miss out on any of the flavours. Here is how I made it…

1 mango, seed and skin removed
½ inch piece ginger
1 green chilly
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon gram flour (chickpea flour)
Salt to taste

For tempering:
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 dry red chilly
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Turmeric powder
Asafoetida
Curry leaves

Blend together the ginger and the green chilly adding water if needed. Add the mango and make a pulp and mix this with yogurt and gram flour.  Mix well ensuring there are no lumps. You could add a wee bit of water depending on how thick you want the kadhi

Heat some oil in a kadai/skillet and add the ingredients for tempering

Add the mango-yogurt mixture and stir. Allow it to boil briefly on slow flame and add salt after taking off the flame

Serve hot or cold!

It could even be consumed like a soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment