Friday 4 February 2011

Sago Kheer/Javvarisi Payasam


Sago Kheer/Javvarisi Payasam


Javvarisi payasam used to be my favorite payasam while I was a kid. It is a common dish on a traditional wedding menu and I must say some cooks did it great but some cooks used to make it so watery that it would be as tasteless as a typical porridgeor even worse, like sweet warm water. This is the third time I have made this and I have heard somewhere about ‘third time lucky’ or I must be making that up. The first time, I followed a good cookbook and still failed. The second time I pretty much experimented the present way of doing it and now that I could repeat it, I guess I have my favourite payasam recipe ready. Although I love this payasam, I prefer to have some fruits in the dessert to help us get some five a day fruits and vegetables. I wanted to try mango-javvarisi payasam but was sceptical about the mango that arrived via internet shopping. These mangoes are usually not sweet like Indian mangoes and most of the times they are a bit sour. I did not want to mess the whole dish, instead I served it with chopped mango pieces and I was glad I did so. Here is my recipe...

¼ cup javvarisi(sago/sabudana)
2 cups milk
2 cardamom pods
4-5 teaspoons sugar
Few cashewnuts
1 tablespoon almond powder (optional)
Some ghee
Some mango cut into small pieces


Rinse the javvarisi and add enough water just to cover it. Soak for about 30 minutes

Heat a teaspoon ghee and fry the cashew nuts and keep aside

Drain the javvarisi (there usually would be no water to drain as it would have been absorbed and javvarisi would have beome bigger in size) and fry in the leftover ghee or add little bit more ghee

Add milk and cook on low flame until the javvarisi is all done (they turn almost transparent when done) and milk has reduced to desired level.

Add crushed cardamom pods, sugar and almond powder and simmer for few minutes

Add cashew nuts and mango pieces and serve hot or chilled


I tend to add almonds because of all the health benefits they provide. They have some essential fatty acids and are very good for the skin. I tend to add more milk upfront as milk that has boiled for a much shorter time tastes different from milk that has boiled well and reduced. You could add more milk than suggested.



No comments:

Post a Comment