Thursday 17 February 2011

Masala Corn Rice


Masala Corn Rice


I realised that lately I have not been including an awful lot of information about the key ingredients used in the recipe. So I thought I will talk a bit about the hero of this recipe, corn. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to know how much goodness this innocent corn has. Corn is suppose to be rich in thiamine and niacin. The native Americans are said to have consumed it with limestone ash as this combination helped the body absorb the niacin better. It also has beta carotene making it very beneficial for vision. The fibre content is also significant enough to alleviate digestive problems like constipation. I realise why I did not think corn had such great benefits – it is because it tastes great as well! Usually healthy ingredients aren’t the most appealing to the palate or in other words the unhealthy ones seem more appealing. Ofcourse that does not apply to this dish as it has the goodness and tastes good. I saw the basic recipe on a show on the tele and adapted it slightly to suit our taste and pantry. Here is how I did it...

2 red onions
4-5 dry red chillies (increase or decrease as per taste)
Handful of cashew nuts
1-2 inch piece ginger
4-5 cloves of garlic
2 cups corn, cooked
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, roasted
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted
1 cup rice, cooked ensuring grains remain separate and fluffed
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Do not peel the onions. Cook the onions on direct flame until it becomes soft to touch. Then peel and wash it

Grind the onion, red chillies, garlic, cashewnuts, ginger, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds to a smooth paste.


Heat tablespoon oil and add this paste and cook until raw smell goes and it comes together

Add corn, required salt and then add the rice and mix well

Serve with raita or a curry

No comments:

Post a Comment