Sunday 9 January 2011

Sweet Potato Kheer (Sweet Potato dessert)


Sweet Potato Kheer (Sweet Potato dessert)


I realised that my son has hardly been taking any starchy vegetable lately. I would rather that he has more sweet potatoes than potato although that may not be my personal preference. I say that because sweet potatoes are healthier than normal potatoes and it is a shame that my palate is more used to the latter. As I have said many times, I love to use the sweetness of ingredients rather than sugar to sweeten my desserts. This way I reduce the intake of free sugar. Here is how I made this nice dessert...

1 medium sized sweet potato, grated finely
2 tablespoon vermicelli (semiya)
5 teaspoons sugar
1 almonds, powdered
3 cardamom pods
3-4 cups milk
1 teaspoon ghee or butter
Few cashew nuts and raisins for garnish

Heat the ghee in a skillet and fry the cashews until golden brown. Fry the raisins until they puff up and keep both aside. (sorry no picture for this one, was in a rush multitasking!)

In the left over ghee, add the vermicelli and roast until it starts turning brown.

Add the sweet potato to vermicelli and add enough milk to cover them. Add crushed cardamom pods and cook until the sweet potatoes and vermicelli are done. Add more milk if needed.




Add the powdered almonds and sugar and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.



Transfer to a serving bowl and add the fried cashews and raisins.



You could easily tweak this recipe ever so slightly to make it a great baby food as it is quite a nice way to disguise a vegetable for a fussy eater. Reduce the amount of sugar and give it to your baby or toddler, ofcourse do not add whole nuts and ensure there is no allergy.

1 comment:

  1. this is a gr8 idea! but my kids eat baked sweet potatoes all the time ..let me see if I can make this on some special occasion to tempt them!! thx!

    ReplyDelete