Tuesday 25 January 2011

Mixed Dal Curry


Mixed Dal Curry


In my opinion dal is an important part of vegetarian diet. As far as possible, I try to include atleast one type of dal or lentil in our diet everyday. Broken pigeon peas is my favourite because I can mix it with rice and add ghee and satiate myself with just that. However, as vegetarian proteins are not complete proteins, it is important to add a variety of lentils and pulses in our diet. For this reason, I tend to mix few lentils and make a dal recipe. The traditional tadka dal (tempered lentil) is one of my husband’s favourites but to me it is too bland (will post the recipe for this later). So in this particular dal recipe I have spiced it up a wee bit. I added spring onions so that the green part contributes as greens and also they have a lovely flavour.

1 onion, finely chopped
1 bunch spring onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup toor dal
¼ cup moong dal
¼ cup horsegram (brown lentil/kollu)
2 teaspoons sambar powder (or a teaspoon of chilly powder)
½ teaspoon coriander powder (if not using sambar powder, add 1 teaspoon coriander powder)
2 green chillies, slit
Turmeric powder
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
Cooking oil

Rinse and cook the dals together. I pressure cooked for upto 4 whistles as I like them mushy
(I loved the colours and clicked a photo after rinsing)

Heat some oil and add cumin seeds. Once it crackles, add both the onions, slit green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry until done


Add the tomatoes and little salt and water and cook until tomatoes are well done

Add some water, turmeric powder and other spice powders (sambar powder or coriander and chilly powder). Add the dals, required amount of salt and water if needed and simmer until desired consistency is achieved.

Dals do tend to become thicker as they cool, so you may want to add a bit more water or turn the heat off when it is slightly watery.

Garnish with coriander and serve with rice or any Indian bread.

1 comment: