Friday 31 December 2010

Apple Parsnip Soup


Apple Parsnip Soup


It is the time of the year when a hot soup is by far more comforting than an ice cream. For that reason, I have made up my mind to make more soups. While I was a young child, it was my father that introduced me to soups. He told me how they are usually called appetisers and served as starters. The choice of soups in many Indian restaurants was limited and my favorite was tomato soup. Now that I am in the western world where soups are more popular and by themselves make a meal, I have more options and opportunities to explore. Some days the main meal barely has any vegetable (like idlis etc.) and in those days I think soup is a great way to increase nutrition intake and also fill the stomach with less calories.This is a zero oil/butter dish and here is how I made it to serve two people...

1 apple, cored and peeled and chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 brown or white onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Any herb of your choice for garnish (I used coriander leaves)

Boil apple, parsnip and onion together until all are well done. Remove or add water based on desired consistency. I would rather not add too much water initially as I may lose some nutrients if I get rid of some before blending

Blend this in a food processor and season with salt and bring back to boil

Garnish with some chopped fresh herbs and serve hot with some black pepper powder on the table.

How easy was that?
If you want to inrease the richness, you can add some cream or milk after blending. My husband added some dried Italian herbs to the soup and quite liked it. I used eating apple and not cooking apple for this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Yummm, delicious, healthy.........any other adjective!!!!!??????

    ReplyDelete