Saturday 16 October 2010

Crispy Okra (Crispy Ladiesfinger/Bhindi)


Crispy Okra (Crispy Ladiesfinger/Bhindi)

Like all recipes I post, I am excited about this one but just a touch more as this is the first course on the three course meal that will finish with the 100th post on my blog – a dessert. This is a nice healthy starter that has very little fat. That way it literally just starts the meal and does not completely fill you up and lose appetite for the main course. My husband loves okra and so do I. Soon after we got married I made him a stuffed okra recipe in the microwave oven and it was really good. Now that I do not use microwave oven I wanted to try something else. Also, I had been wanting to make stuffed okra and even came across a recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor. Sure it sounded yummy but it involved deep frying which generally is not appealing to me. I then came up with a hybrid recipe and because I was lazy running out of time, I made a non-stuffed okra. It turned out to be great and is now part of our weekly menu. Here is how I made it...

15-20 okra cut into inch long pieces or even longer
2-3 tablespoons besan (chickpea flour)
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
1 teaspoon jeera powder (cumin powder)
Salt to taste
1-2 tablespoons cooking oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together with the okra. As you mix, the moisture in okra will help them bind together.

Add the oil and mix further

Put this in a shallow baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 20-30 minutes and keep mixing every 10 minutes to ensure uniform cooking.




It is usually done by about 20-25 minutes but depending on whether you want it crisp or a bit soft extend the cooking time. Enjoy this until the main course is written!

No comments:

Post a Comment