Saturday 24 July 2010

Peppery Mushroom Pepper


I love shopping and usually any kind but should admit not electronics shopping really. I am not so much a tech savvy person and leave it to my husband. I however do insist on doing the weekly grocery shopping as I find it easy to pick things and get to know what’s new in the market, what I can experiment on etc. Sometimes I also find it hard to specify the quantity if I should hand a list to my husband. Only I will understand why I need loads of few ingredients, tomatoes for example. Few ingredients come a long way even if only one pack. My husband had bought loads of green peppers (capsicum) and mushroom one of these weeks. To be fair I think he did so because we had my brother and sister-in-law over and so he just doubled the quantity. However I could not cook as much as I wanted to as we were either going out or just lazying or too full from the previous meal. Left with the peppers and mushrooms, I decided to do a nice and simple dish. I also wanted something different from the usual gravies. That’s when I ended up creating Peppery Mushroom Pepper. While the first peppery refers to the pepper I added instead of chillies so it is easier for my husband to stomach, the last pepper refers to the capsicum. Here is how I did it…


250g closed cup mushrooms (if using button mushroom, increase the quantity) sliced
1 onion sliced
2 green peppers sliced
1 teaspoon black pepper powder (fresh preferably)
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
Salt to taste
1-2 teaspoon soya sauce (don’t bother if you do not have)
Cooking oil

Heat about a teaspoon of oil and add the onions. Fry the onions


Add the green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and turmeric powder. Add about half the salt you would normally add. This is done to encourage the mushrooms to give up its water quickly. If you are not using soya sauce, add salt to taste.



Once the mushrooms give up liquid and atleast half of it is evaporated, add black pepper powder and soya sauce. Also add the kasoori methi and stir.



Cook for 5 more minutes or so or until you get desired consistency (I preferred to retain some water, but wanted it thick and pepper powder did the trick). If it is too watery add less than a teaspoon of corn flour and cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot with rice or chapatti

No comments:

Post a Comment