Thursday 10 June 2010

Dahi Bhindi/Yogurty Okra


There are very few vegetables I remember liking from my toddlerhood to now without change in preference. Undoubtedly Ladies finger aka okra (and also ladies finger) is one of them. I have always loved this vegetable. Usually my mother will make sambar or poriyal out of this. Some of my north Indian friends in school use to bring a dish made with okra as side dish for chapatti and since then I started liking that combination as well. Luckily my husband loves okra as well but he does not appreciate dry side dish for chapatti and prefers gravy. And that was why I had to try this recipe. I looked at a recipe for this in Tarla Dalal’s website and read it half asleep. I did not make a note of this in my notebook and hence it was not very handy. Few days later, I could not be bothered picking up the computer and browsing again so decided to try it from memory and my own creativity. Here is how I made this delicious dish


2 packets okra (175g each) cut into inch long pieces

1 big red onion thinly sliced

3 firm tomatoes cut into bite size chunks

3 green chillies slit

1 inch long ginger cut into long strips

1 cup yogurt

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

½ teaspoon chilly powder

1 teaspoon garam masala powder

1 teaspoon jeera powder (cumin powder)

1 teaspoon dhania powder (coriander powder)

¼ teaspoon turmeric powder

Salt to taste

2-3 teaspoons oil

In a deep bottomed dish add about a teaspoon of oil. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and wait till they start turning dark.





Add the onion, green chillies, ginger and turmeric powder



Once the onions are cooked, add the ladies finger and tomatoes.



Once the okra is almost cooked, add the spice powders and cook further. Add salt and stir.



Once you get a nice aroma, add yogurt slowly and keep stirring. Cook for couple of minutes.Adjust quantity of yogurt based on desired consistency.


 
Serve hot with rice or chapatti.


 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Veena,

    The okra was superb variation to the usuals....
    Thanks for sharing - quick/easy and tasty - all in one go! We had it with hot khobuz( lebanese bread)......

    ReplyDelete