Friday 23 April 2010

Mint Rice/Pudhina Pulav


Mint rice/Pudhina Rice
Mint is suppose to have got its name from nymph Menthe, who was turned into a plant by goddess Perserpina, when she got to know that Pluto was in love with her. Interestingly the goddess seemed to have preserved the beauty of the nymph in the plant form too. I love the refreshing smell of mint and feel my kitchen gets freshened by its presence. I was not a big fan of mint until I tasted mint rice brought by one of my schoolmates. My mom then made it at home for me and until date I have not been able to reproduce that taste, shame. However, I did come up with my own recipe which I quite like and more importantly my husband likes as well. I usually post recipes after he says they are good. Here is what you need and how you make this aromatic rice...
1 big onion finely sliced or chopped
Vegetables of your choice and mine was 1 green and 1 red pepper
1 bay leaf
1 piece cinnamon stick
2-3 cloves
Salt to taste
1 cup cooked rice (preferably grains separated and not mushy)
Cooking oil
To make the sauce:
1 big red onion or 2 small red onions chopped
2-3 green chillies
1 cup mint (I used 2 packets 30g each)
2-3 cloves garlic (optional)
1 inch long ginger piece (optional)
½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
To make sauce - In a wok or saucepan, add about a tablespoon of cooking oil and once heated add turmeric powder and fry onions, garlic, chillies and ginger. Once well cooked add washed mint leaves and allow them to wilt. Allow time to cool and grind to paste adding limited water.
To finish the rice – In the wok or saucepan add 1 tablespoon cooking oil add the whole spices and fry the onions. Add vegetables of your choice and once done add cooked rice and the ground paste. Add salt as required. If desired you may add the juice of a lime once taken off the stove. Mint rice is ready for you to enjoy.
Mint was historically used as a medicinal herb to help alleviate chest pain and stomach pain. Its strong and sharp flavour also makes it a mild decongestant for common cold. More importantly, the default rule is to take as much green vegetables as possible and this herb is a nice part of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment