Thursday 18 March 2010

Microwave Doodh Peda


Doodh Peda (Milk sweet)
As it has been a while since I posted a sweet dish recipe and also that we have successfully completed our visit to India, here comes a quick and easy sweet dish. I find this recipe ever so handy mainly because it can be done in one dish and in a microwave within about five minutes. It is quite handy if you are making a quick visit to someone’s place or having sudden guests. The first time I tried this was when my brother was visiting us the first time after his engagement. This is one of his favourite sweets and a must buy in a shop called Murari sweets in Kumbakonam. While I had very many things lined up and also had to watch my little one while my husband was cleaning, this dish was a quick hit. My husband put a peda in my brother’s mouth just as he entered. I remember looking for its recipe sometime back but unfortunately I am not very sure where I found a good one. My key constraint was that I did not have butter in stock and this recipe worked well for me.
1 tin of condensed milk (about 1and ¼ cup)
1 and ¾ cup milk powder (I used the skimmed milk powder)
Pistachio kernels/cashew nuts/almonds coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon ghee (optional)
Saffron (optional)
Microwave safe dish

Mix the condensed milk and milk powder in a dish and ensure it is well mixed. When I did it the first time I thought I may need to add milk but this ratio works just fine and you will attain a gooey mixture. Cook this on high for a minute and stir. Add few strands of saffron if you like and stir. Again cook for a minute and stir. Continue the same but stir every 30seconds. Depending on the microwave, you may achieve required consistency in the third or fourth minute. Take a small pinch and roll between your fingers, if it does not stick to your fingers, then it is done. Now while it is still hot, make small balls and flatten them in your palm to make the pedas. Once all pedas are made, press pieces of the nuts on them while still warm. It is important that you do not overcook the peda as it may turn hard and also making them while still hot is important else they will not retain shape. In order to be able to withstand the heat, I greased my hands with ghee but that is optional. Doodh Peda is done within minutes !!

No comments:

Post a Comment